Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Home Sweet Home

We are finally home…got home on Friday afternoon. I think the last time I posted was when we spent the night in Jamestown, N.Y., my how time flies.

The last couple of days of the trip I didn’t have any internet access and have been lazy since I got home. That’s why some of you out there thought we were still in the Chicago area!!!

Tuesday morning we got up and as usual left around 8 a.m. We thought we would spend the night around South Bend, Ind., but we got there in early afternoon and decided to go on. At South Bend we turned north on Highway 33 and went into Michigan, checking off another state.

From there we headed to the Chicago area but it was fixin’ to be rush hour traffic so the decision was made to keep south of the city on I80. We angled up to I39 then stopped at Rockford, Ill., for the night.

Wednesday morning we got up, hopped in the car and drove to Wisconsin, which was about 10 miles north of Rockford. With that state ‘visited’ Mom and I have now been in 49 states.

Once crossing the Wisconsin border we turned around (how sick is that) and ‘headed for home’, mission accomplished!!

We traveled on to Raymore, Mo., (just south and east of Kansas City) by way of Des Moines and spent the night with Kim (Becky and Les’ daughter) and her husband Steve. They were very gracious hosts and it was awesome to get to know them better. We briefly met them when they came down to Stillwater in January for Dad’s memorial service.

We have always heard what great people they are and now that we’ve gotten to know them better we can definitely concur with that. We also got another treat while we were there, we got to meet one of their children, Mike, his wife Nani, and their adorable daughter, Alana (I hope I am close on the spellings!) Being around Alana made me miss my grandchildren even more.

From there we traveled to Stillwater, Okla., arriving early afternoon. Stopped by and visited with our Aunt Vera (her granddaughter Britton was there too), then went to the Pryor’s and visited with John, Bonita and Aunt Olive. It was Olive’s 88th birthday so that was special to see her. From there we stopped by the cemetery and visited Dad. Becky and Sara hadn’t been there since the headstone was placed.

We hit the road again that day and spent the night in Norman, Okla. It seemed weird to be in Norman and not be going to a basketball game. One ‘basketball’ tradition we did keep when visiting Norman, we ate dinner at my favorite Norman restaurant, Charleston’s.

Friday morning, the last day of the trip, we headed to Frisco, Texas, to drop in on Erin, Bobby and the girls. Everyone had a good time visiting and playing with Ashton and Landry. Then we headed to Waco, making sure we stopped at Braum’s in Hillsboro for one final treat.

We gladly arrived back in town around 3:30. I was glad to get home and I know mom was too. Poor Becky and Sara still weren’t home though. Becky arrived back in Reno on Monday and Sara hung around Waco to help mom with some painting. She’s going home on Thursday.

I will post one more blog about the trip, mainly just some random stuff. Check back in a few.

No comments:

SLIDESHOW